Monday 22 May 2017

Remembering The Glorious Years...

The Malaysian National News Agency (Bernama) is celebrating its golden anniversary and to mark the occasion, Neville D'Cruz, who used to write for the news agency from Melbourne, Australia,  reminisced about his glorious years with Bernama

Our love affair began when Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad and Paul Keating had an all-consuming spat over the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Leaders meeting in Seattle in November 1993. Dr Mahathir boycotted the Summit and this raised the ire of Prime Minister Keating, who called his Malaysian counterpart a ``recalcitrant´´.
All hell broke loose with sparks flying mainly from Kuala Lumpur. Malaysians scurried for their dictionaries for the meaning of recalcitrant. Dr Mahathir´s daughter, Datin Paduka Marina noted later in The Star -- Malaysians had added a new word to their vocabulary. I was then working as a sub-editor with one of Rupert Murdoch´s News Limited publications in Melbourne.
I phoned the Bernama news desk, offering to give a Malaysian perspective from Australia on the unfolding episode that could have an effect on our bilateral relationship. My call to Bernama was taken by then news editor Kuah Guan Oo and he was most enthusiastic about getting feeds from Down Under.
That was 24 years ago.
Now when I look back, I see some great Bernama journalists I had the pleasure to work with.
Names like Datuk Syed Jamil Jaafar, Datuk Seri Azman Ujang, Musa Scully, Zainoor Sulaiman that roll out from the glory days of Bernama. Bernama broke many good stories and from where mainstream media got their leads, especially on crime.
Azman, who was (and still is) arguably the best writer in my days with Bernama.
I am absolutely delighted the proud Sarawakian is back as chairman. You know , Azman can even get quite excited over a well written "filler". Such is his love and passion for journalism.
I also have fond memories of the then chief sub-editor, Rachman Yeop Norodin aka Rodger and his assistant Janine Koay. 
Rodger can be cranky but he was a genuine pro. One night he carried a story of mine which I think no one in Bernama would have dared to send out. Next day it was Page One lead story in at least one newspaper. 
Mikhail Raj, at the Economic Desk, is another stalwart, who has a slot in my ``glory days´´ frame. He always welcomed stories that reflected the importance of regional economic co-operation and advancement with special focus on Malaysia.
If I had to launch a newspaper the first person I would hire would be Tengku Noor Shamsiah, who is now with Bernama News Channel and the former correspondent to Singapore. She has an amazing capacity to produce stories. In my years in journalism I   don´t think I have found a more tireless reporter than our Princess.
I think we all miss the unflappable Jasbeer Singh of the accounts department, who has retired now. He is a gentleman who treats everyone with grace and compassion.
And finally, my dear friend from our Malay Mail days
the late Alex Fernandez ... the doyen of our profession. Alex was well-read, knowledgeable and always ready to discuss any issue. He was with Bernama´s PRWIRE that was later rebranded as Bernama Media Relations and Event Management (MREM).
I wish all the best for Bernama in the next 50 years.
-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment